[Distutils] "Python Package Management Sucks"

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 21:08:04 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 10:05:49AM -0400, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> I don't see how this is remotely relevant to how Python works or how
> people use (and have used) Python over the decades.  Data files in
> package directories is something I've seen in Python since, oh, 1997 or
> so.  If it were a mistake for Python, I think somebody would've noticed
> by now.

Well, maybe someone just did notice!  I don't see why you disagree so
strongly with this as it is entirely in line with providing separate
source tree locations for differents types of data which you are in
favour of.

Specifiying that this would be the recommended way and providing an
API to deal with it doesn't mean you forbit the old way.  You'd still
be able to dig around with __file__.  Even if any GNU/Linux packagers
will try and convince upstreams not to do so.

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom