[Distutils] "Python Package Management Sucks"

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Oct 2 13:17:04 CEST 2008

Josselin Mouette wrote:

> I don’t understand why you want to make it so complicated. All you need
> is a way to specify directories where different kinds of files land and
> a simple API to retrieve the file names/contents. Then, you can ship the
> files at the place you like in eggs, and we can ship the files at the
> standard places in our packages.

Yes, I don't understand all this complication and concepts either. I
have not seen any reason not to do like autoconf. It is simple, obvious,
has no burden for the developer, has been used by thousand of softwares
for more than one decade, and is extremely flexible.

The only thing needed in addition to autoconf is a python API to
retrieve the location of each kind of files (python, data, doc, etc...)
so that the package itself can find it independently of the way it was
installed.

cheers,

David