[Distutils] Error using easy_install

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Nov 25 02:21:53 CET 2008

At 06:47 PM 11/24/2008 -0600, tjk1 at rice.edu wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am trying to install easy_install and setuptools so I can install PyOpenGL.
>
>I am using Windows XP Pro SP 2. I use Python 2.4.3 in the C:\Python24
>directory.
>
>I downloaded and installed setuptools-0.6c9.win32-py2.4.exe without errors.
>
>I have added C:\Python24\Scripts to my Path.
>
>I have installed ctypes, numpy, PIL, SimpleParse, PyGame, and win32all.
>
>When I try to use easy_install I get this error from pkg_resources.py,
>line 1913:
>
>ImportError: No module named command.easy_install
>
>I have read this trouble-shooting advice:
>"If EasyInstall/setuptools appears to install correctly, and you can
>run the easy_install command but it fails with an ImportError, the
>most likely cause is that you installed to a location other than
>site-packages, without taking any of the steps described in the Custom
>Installation Locations section below. Please see that section and
>follow the steps to make sure that your custom location will work
>correctly. Then re-install."
>
>But I am not installing to a custom location that I am aware of.
>setuptools is found in my C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\ directory.

I would check to make sure that you don't have any other location
where setuptools is installed, after first uninstalling (using the
Windows control panel add/remove programs).  Search your system for
any pkg_resources.py files or setuptools directories after
uninstalling.  If you find any, be sure to delete them before re-installing.