[Distutils] setup.py develop un-egg-spected result

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Mar 25 16:18:18 CET 2008

At 10:39 AM 3/25/2008 -0400, Oliver Schoenborn wrote:
>I have a problem with "setup.py develop" installation.
>
>I have the following folder tree:
>
>pubsub
>     \- setup.py
>     \- extern
>        \- module0.py
>     \- core
>        \- __init__.py
>        \- module1.py
>        \- module2.py
>        \- ...
>
>I want my setup.py to install modules from pubsub/extern (such as
>module0.py) into site-packages, and to install the 'core' package in
>site-packages as pubsubcore:
>
>setup(
>      py_modules   = ['module0'],
>      packages     = ['pubsubcore'],
>      package_dir  = {'': 'extern', 'pubsubcore':'core'},
>      scripts      = [],
>)

This use of package_dir is not compatible with 'develop'.  For
'develop' to work on a project, you may not have any non-empty keys
in package_dir.  If you want to use develop with this project, you
will have to alter your directory layout so that 'core' is under
'extern', or else move the 'extern' modules out of 'extern' and up to
the top-level directory, and update (or get rid of) package_dir accordingly.