[Distutils] [Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Mar 20 15:28:18 CET 2008

Guido van Rossum schrieb:
> I was using the human interface at python.org/pypi. There are two
> prominent links at the top of the page: "Browse the tree of packages"
> and "Submit package information" followed by the 30 most recently
> changed packages.

Ah, ok. In PyPI parlance, these are "classifiers" (Trove classifiers,
although the word "trove" means nothing to me), not keywords. They
are different from keywords in the sense that they form a hierarchy.

I personally consider trove classifiers over-valued, but apparently,
some people really love them (probably the ones who are more organized
than I am). Developers continuously request addition of new classifiers;
I don't have any statistics whether users actually use them to locate
stuff.

> What I was looking for was the page for a specific
> package. The "Browse the tree of packages" link was no help. Finally I
> realized that in the side bar, in a small unobtrusive font, is a link
> to "List packages" which links to a list of *all* packages, in
> alphabetical order. I found my package there. I think repeating that
> link right below "browse the tree" would have been sufficient.

I can't change that right now, but created

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1921108&group_id=66150&atid=513503

> But it
> would have been cool if there had been a search box (also in the start
> page) where I could type (part of) the name of the package and it
> would have given me the nearest matches.

Did you try the search box in the top-right, and did did not work?

What search term did you enter, and what package did you expect to get?

Regards,
Martin