[Distutils] easy_install installing old version

Patrick Lewis plewis at spamcop.net
Tue Jun 24 02:29:48 CEST 2008

Hello, I'm having some trouble with easy_install finding and
installing old packages, and I'm not sure why. Specifically, with
python2.4, easy_install wants to grab the oldest egg file possible,
rather than newer egg or tar.gz  source distributions.

Here is the pypi page:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/registration

and here is a sample install (from a fresh virtualenv)

(ENV_24_clean)pat-mac:~/Programming/TurboGears/ENV_24_clean plewis$
which easy_install-2.4
/Users/plewis/Programming/TurboGears/ENV_24_clean/bin/easy_install-2.4
(ENV_24_clean)pat-mac:~/Programming/TurboGears/ENV_24_clean plewis$
easy_install-2.4 -U registration
Searching for registration
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/registration/
Reading http://patrickhlewis.googlepages.com/registration.html
Reading http://pat.lewis.home.insightbb.com/
Best match: registration 0.11
Processing registration-0.11-py2.4.egg
registration 0.11 is already the active version in easy-install.pth

I'm not quite sure what's going on here, since

http://pypi.python.org/simple/registration/

clearly shows newer versions. If someone could point out what I've
done wrong, I'd much appreciate it.