[Distutils] [issue24] Rename easy_install

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 11:56:42 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 2:37 AM, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>
wrote:

> cut

> If you want to expand the available development pool for setuptools, I
> would strongly suggest focusing development efforts on creating a regression
> test suite emphasizing end-to-end functional testing of the current
> functionality.  Such tests would ideally be factored for narrative clarity
> and compact expressiveness, rather like Jim Fulton's doctests for
> easy_install's .exe wrappers, and the doctests for zc.buildout.  (Because if
> they're too complicated for me to read, they'll take too long for me to
> review.)
>
> If people *really* want to solve the development bottleneck, this is the
> way to go, because it will reduce my role to deciding whether something
> should go in, and seeing if it passes the tests on a platform or two.

Having a clear state of what "sits in your folder of patches" would be
useful too.
(http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2008-April/009278.html)

I am not sure http://bugs.python.org/setuptools/ reflects it

That's something I think I could manage to do, even with my current work
> load.

What about dedicating a sprint on building a regression test suite this
Saturday ? It is Python bug day.

I am in to work on some doctests. Do you have the time to give us more
details on what you would
like to see ? Maybe you could write one-sentence doctests for us to start it
up this week end ?

Tarek

Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org
Blog FR | http://programmation-python.org