[Distutils] What is needed by an uninstall command to be useful ?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Jun 17 07:46:33 CEST 2008

chris wrote:

> I've submitted a patch for an uninstall feature here:
>
> http://bugs.python.org/setuptools/issue21

Hi Chris,

    Yes, I saw it. Unfortunately, it is a setuptools extension, and I
don't want to use setuptools. I also want something which may be
integrated by distutils at some point.

> Currently it works by creating an installed_files.log file in an egg
> on install. This file is used during uninstall (-r option) to remove
> all files associated with an egg. If an egg was installed before this
> patch was applied, the only things missed will be external scripts.
>
> It will also do some dependency checking. If the package being removed
> is depended upon by something else, it will warn the user (showing
> what needs that package). If the package being removed has a
> dependency not needed by anything else, it presents the user with the
> option of removing that dependency as well. Also, entries from
> easy_install.pth are removed.

Do you think it would be possible to refactor it to split the
distutils/setuptools parts ? I could do it myself, obviously, but I
don't know anything about setuptools internals.

cheers,

David