[Distutils] Publishing Documentation

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jan 30 06:04:31 CET 2008

James William Pye <python at jwp.name> writes:

> I think I should also mention that I've seen some packages basically
> publish their documentation in the package's long_description...
> Seems like it would be a good idea to provide a more appropriate
> place for this information.

The long_description, in turn, is often generated directly from the
(top-level) module docstring. It's entirely appropriate for that
docstring to be a guide to using the package, especially if it also
contains doctest tests.

--
 \        "Intellectual property is to the 21st century what the slave |
  `\                              trade was to the 16th." —David Mertz |