[Distutils] pypi and easy_install

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Jan 19 19:46:58 CET 2008

At 04:44 AM 1/19/2008 +0100, Giampaolo Rodola' wrote:
>Ok, I tried to implement this and it is seems I made it.
>The change permit to use the distutils "--formats=tar,gztar,bztar"
>option without need of having tar/gzip/bzip2 utilities installed on
>the system.
>Don't know if distutils test suite includes tests for the part of code
>I modified but Lib/test/test_distutils.py run successfully on Python
>2.5.1.
>
>The only compression format currently left out is ztar.
>I may be wrong but I haven't seen modules able to work with that
>format in the Python stdlib.
>
>I'll wait for your review.
>Tell me if you want me to open a ticket on the Python bug tracker to
>let also other users review the patch, modify something or throw the
>whole thing away. :-)

That would probably be a good idea.  In the meantime, my only comment
is that for consistency with make_zipfile, the code should work even
if gzip, tarfile, or bz2 aren't importable.  That is, falling back to
the old spawn-based methods if the relevant library or libraries are
not available.  The comment at the top, after all, says "This module
should be kept compatible with Python 2.1," and the tarfile and bz2
modules weren't added until 2.3.  (I'm not sure when gzip was added.)