[Distutils] Experience of setuptools' cache design

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jan 18 22:33:46 CET 2008

At 02:08 PM 1/18/2008 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>On Jan 18, 2008, at 1:55 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>>  It doesn't appear to be compatible
>>>with multi-version installs.
>>
>>It *can* be compatible, with certain limitations.
>
>I don't see how, unless you mean that only one version is handled this
>way.

That would be one of the "certain limitations", yes.  :)  The other
is that the version installed this way can't be overridden except by
scripts.  That is, if you start Python without a script that
initializes one of the alternate versions to be on sys.path, then you
will get the "single-version" install as the version on sys.path.