[Distutils] virtualenv, OS X, and GUIs

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Jan 9 07:53:43 CET 2008

On 9 Jan, 2008, at 1:47, Ian Bicking wrote:

> Robert Kern wrote:
>> Is there an appropriate mailing list for talking about virtualenv?
>> I've run into a problem where virtualenvs on OS X cannot access the
>> screen to run GUIs. I've found a solution that appears to work and
>> am going to write a patch to let virtualenv do it. I'd like to get
>> some feedback from other OS X virtualenv users, though.

What's the solution?

It is currently not possible to use GUI api's from the commandline
using a virtualenv interpreter, but that's just basic OSX lameness. It
works in the system install because that uses some trickery to let the
system think that the interpreter is inside an application bundle (at
the cost of an extra fork(2)).

> I've thought maybe the distutils list is the best place for
> discussion; at least for the moment (better than private email,
> where no one else will see it).  If activity increases much perhaps
> a separate mailing list will make sense (not everyone who would want
> to discuss virtualenv will want to be on the distutils list).
>
> I think Ronald Oussoren is on that list, but just in case I'll copy
> him since he's done the Mac specific stuff in virtualenv so far.

I'm on the distutils list, but don't read that daily.   I don't think
the virtualenv list is the right place for discussion of virtualenv
though.

Ronald