[Distutils] alternatives to zc.buildout?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sat Feb 9 07:14:00 CET 2008

Tres Seaver wrote:

> Chris Withers wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> What are the alternatives to zc.buildout?
>>
>> I'm wondering before I plough into zc.buildout because I'm guessing
>> other big projects have run into the problem of pinning certain versions
>> of eggs, building "instance homes" for projects, using a mixture of
>> "public" eggs and those that are private and for a specific project, etc
>> and otherwise working round limitations in setuptools...
>
> The major competitor for mindshare is probably Ian Bicking's
> 'virtualenv':  it makes using 'easy_install' *really* easy, because you
> are working in a sandbox.
 >
> The standard installs for repoze.zope2, repoze.grok, repoze.plone, etc.
> all assume a virtualenv, and add scripts which turn the vanilla
> virtualenv into an "instance."

The problem I have with virtualenv - or rather, with raw setuptools
based solutions - is that it's difficult to uninstall eggs. With
buildout, once you remove the requirement/egg line and re-run buildout,
the egg is no longer installed.

That said, I like virtualenv and use it a lot. I just think it solves a
slightly different use case from the "repeatable configuration
management system" one that buildout tries to solve.

Martin