[Distutils] setuptools 0.6c7 and zc.buildout: find-links egg fragment issue

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 22:14:43 CET 2008

Jim Fulton wrote:

> FWIW, I find this feature to be baroque. I have very little interest
> in supporting it in buildout. (I wouldn't go out of my way to break it
> either.) I'd prefer to explore other ways to deal with the underlying
> use case in the context of buildout.  I've tried to ignore this issue
> broadly, but I'm willing to work on an alternate solution because just
> seeing the discussion go by is too painful to keep ignoring.

Ok. The use case is : we are working on a bunch of private packages
that do not have a public distribution.

So we start a buildout like this:

  [buildout]

  develop =
      ../../packages/my.package
      ../../packages/my.package2

  eggs =
     my.package
     my.package2

Then we create for each package a tag on the svn. And we want to
distribute our buildout. so we change the buildout this way:

  [buildout]

  find-links =
      http://private/packages/my.package/tags/0.1#egg=my.package
      http://private/packages/my.package2/tags/0.1#egg=my.package2

  extensions = lovely.buildouthttp

  download-cache = downloads

  eggs =
     my.package
     my.package2

..to build a buildout that will have those eggs built within the folder.
Then we add "install-from-cache" and "offline" to provide a installable
tarball.

Ok, we could release some eggs in some private url to have the proper
find-links, but the #egg is quite convenient to avoid this extra step.

So if we can find a way to automate this..

2/ the develop problem

Another point that would be great to consider: setting up the develop
section can be painful when you share a project among many developers,
because they need to svn checkout many packages and make sure they
have the same folder structure.

So could you consider this feature here :
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/gp.svndevelop/0.1 ?
We created this to be able to automate the set of develop on developers
boxes.
I think buildout misses this.

3/ the boostrap.py problem

If we want to have a full offline mode (not using your rpm system) with a
buildout directory,
we need boostrap.py to avoid trying to get setuptools with an openurl call.

So we have created a special boostrap.py file that first looks in the eggs
folder,
to be sure to have a 100% offline mode

https://ingeniweb.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ingeniweb/IngeniSkel/trunk/ingeniskel/templates/iw_plone_project/buildout/bootstrap.py

Could you consider such a feature as well ?

We work a *lot* with zc.buildout here, and those three points are the three
things that are missing,
in the way we use it. I can spare some time to work on some branches.

++
Tarek