[Distutils] How to make an egg easy_installable ?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Feb 4 00:27:27 CET 2008

At 12:48 PM 1/29/2008 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>
>>Precisely how did you make it?  I downloaded it, and there are some
>>peculiarities, not the least of which is that the EGG-INFO
>>directory is named "egg-info" (lowercase) instead.
>>

>I simply used the bdist_egg command from setuptools. I rebuilt an
>egg from my last version (0.3.4), and when unzipping it, I have
>EGG-INFO directory this time. How does easy_install decide where to
>look for packages ?

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#making-your-package-available-for-easyinstall

By the way, it appears that easy_install correctly locates and
downloads your numscons 0.3.4 egg now, so I assume all is well.  The
egg that you had previously did not appear to be a validly-built egg;
specifically, it did not appear to have been built by bdist_egg, or
if it was, it appeared to have been altered by some other zipfile tool.