[Distutils] [buildout] improving zc.recipe.egg's README.txt

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Aug 13 15:59:53 CEST 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 5:22 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> What I'd like to do at the start of the "Script generation" section
> was cat the setup.py of the demo egg to show the entry point where
> the demo eggs defines its script.
>
> However, given that the demo egg is a binary egg, I can't decide
> what the best way to do this is.

We could just show the contents of setup.py or simply explain, perhaps
in a footnote that the scripts are defined via entry points, giving a
link to the setuptools documentation.

> I'd thought of using the zipfile module to reach inside the egg, but
> I'm confused as to why -py2.3.egg files are specified in the test
> and work even though I'm running with python 2.4 and there's no
> python 2.3 in sight?

The examples have to show something, The tests have to be run with
multiple versions of Python, since multiple versions of Python are
supported.  An output normalizer takes care adjusting actual and
expected output for the version of Python used at run time.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation