[Distutils] setuptools easy_install upgrade to 0.6c8 problem

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Apr 28 06:07:34 CEST 2008

At 08:04 PM 4/27/2008 -0700, Scott Brown wrote:
>I have upgraded setuptools from
>http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall to 0.6c8, but my
>system keep trying to use the older version 0.6c7. If I remove the
>older version, then I get the error message:
>
>  File
> "/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/setuptools-0.6c8-py2.5.egg/pkg_resources.py",
> line 524, in resolve
>pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: setuptools==0.6c7
>
>when I try to run easy install.

What's the full traceback?  I can't tell from just those two lines
what's actually going on.

>When I check the installation of the new version it says that it has
>already been installed:
>
>sudo python ez_setup.py
>Setuptools version 0.6c8 or greater has been installed.
>(Run "ez_setup.py -U setuptools" to reinstall or upgrade.)
>
>I am using Mac OS X 10.5. How do I completely remove all traces of
>the old version of setuptools and get the new version 0.6c8 recognised?

Offhand, my guess is that the script location you're installing the
new version to is later on your PATH than the old version.  It looks
like your PYTHONPATH is correct, but that the 'easy_install'
executable wasn't overwritten when you installed the newer version --
i.e., the new version installed its script to a different location
that's either not on your PATH or is after the location where the old
easy_install script is.

So, I would probably do a 'which easy_install' to find out which one
you're running (I'm assuming OS X includes a 'which' command, which
it may not) and then run 'ez_setup -U --script-dir=/whatever
setuptools' where '/whatever' is the directory where your current
'easy_install' executable is.