[Distutils] zip_safe=False not being respected? [it gets worse]

Alexander Michael lxander.m at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 18:02:00 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Alexander Michael wrote:
>
> > By default, setuptools enabled setup.py's install eggs (either zipped
> > or unzipped) so that you can multiple version installed (but only one
> > active, of course). If you want to install just a single version as a
> > standard python package directory, then use the
> > --single-version-externally-managed option as described in the
> > documentation:
> >

>  $ python2.4 setup.py install --home=$INSTANCE \
>                              --single-version-externally-managed
>  running install
>  error: You must specify --record or --root when building system packages
>
>  Sadly neither the --record or --root options appear to be documented
> anywhere...

That is sad. There is a hint from "python setup.py install --help":
  --root                               install everything relative to this
                                       alternate root directory
  --record                             filename in which to record list of
                                       installed files

Maybe they're provided by standard distutils? I know the seuptools
documentation doesn't reiterate anything about distutils, just the
additions.