[Distutils] shebang line modified by setuptools

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sun Apr 13 11:50:16 CEST 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 09:41:08PM -0400, Stephen Waterbury wrote:
> > These are all broken and you should report bugs on them.  I have
> > reported many for Ubuntu.  A system application should only ever
> > depend on the system Python (or interpreter), never on the whims of
> > your $PATH.

> I agree with Barry here -- I would even go further and say that
> the Python used by system apps (i.e., apps that the OS depends on)
> should be separate and should not be on the default PATH (so the user
> can't use it accidentally), and no non-system apps should use the
> system Python unless specifically installed by the user or sysadmin
> into the system Python's area.

I agree with you, and not with Barry that all these are broken. If you
look at the apps that use "#!/usr/bin/env", they are all pretty
non-system apps, like for instance "f2py". I think it is good that these
apps use the default python: I don't want to have f2py to be running for
another python than my default one. I am actually quite surprised to see
that ipython is installed with a hardcoded path to /usr/bin/python.

Anyway, I am not going to bug report anything, as my system works just
fine, thank you.

Gaël