[Distutils] setuptools special case Pyrex and break Cython

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Sep 3 18:12:41 CEST 2007

At 06:01 PM 9/3/2007 +0200, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>So you are suggesting that people should choose: it's either eggs or Cython.

No -- I'm suggesting that developers whose projects include C code
generated from .pyx files should always include the resulting .c
files in their source distributions as a courtesy to their users.

Not only is this the friendly thing for your users, it's also the
only sane thing to do from a support standpoint.  Otherwise, you have
to ensure that your users have exactly the same version of Pyrex (or
Cython, or pypy, or whatever) that you do.

Please notice that these points are entirely independent of whether
setuptools or eggs exist.  I was shipping generated Pyrex-generated
.c files to my users for these reasons well before setuptools
existed, let alone eggs.