[Distutils] Parsing setup()

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Jun 5 02:58:45 CEST 2007

At 05:07 PM 6/4/2007 -0700, Rob wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> > If you use "-e sometmpdir" as an option, you can have the .egg-info put
> > in a temporary directory with a known location.  You need this because
> > some package layouts don't have the .egg-info in the package root, so
> > the rest of your stuff won't work.
> >
> > To be honest, though, I think you're going to way too much trouble
> > here.  Just what exactly is the use case here?  Couldn't you just
> > easy_install the package to a temporary directory with --no-deps?  Why
> > do you think you need to inspect the setup.py in the first place?
> >

>Sorry, I should have explained what I was attempting.
>
>The code is going to be used for g-pypi[1], a tool I wrote specifically for
>creating ebuilds for Gentoo's portage package manager. It creates ebuilds
>by using setuptools and querying The Cheese Shop.

In that case, using "easy_install -mNd atempdir sourcedir" is
probably your best recipe.  After easy_install runs, "atempdir" will
contain an egg built from "sourcedir", and you can then query it via
the standard API.

You don't even need to run it with system(); here's your recipe:

     from setuptools.command.easy_install import main as easy
     from pkg_resources import find_distributions
     easy(['-Nmxd', atempdir, sourcedir])
     for dist in find_distributions(atempdir):
         requirements = dist.requires()
         # ...and whatever

atempdir should be an empty directory prior to the easy-install
invocation, of course.  The -N means no dependencies, -m means
multi-version (no .pth file), -x excludes scripts, and -d sets the
target directory.