[Distutils] Buildout not updating setuptools

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Jul 9 20:41:02 CEST 2007

At 02:09 PM 7/9/2007 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:

>On Jul 9, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>
>>At 01:10 PM 7/9/2007 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>>>IMO, they shouldn't have the same precedence.  IMO installations made
>>>with the develop command should have the highest precedence. After
>>>all, why would someone use the develop command if they didn't want to
>>>see the effects of changes they're making in development.  Could we
>>>can change the develop command to generate a different symbol, like
>>>REALLY_DEVELOP_DIST and give it the highest precedence?  (Tempted to
>>>wink, but not really kidding...) It appears that it doesn't actually
>>>generate anything atm, but I think it should.
>>
>>I could have .egg-link files use a different precedence, but I
>>wouldn't make it the highest.  Develop eggs have the lowest
>>precedence for two reasons: one, easy_install prefers to use eggs
>>it can copy,
>
>Why does this matter to users?

It doesn't! -- that's precisely why easy_install is free to pick the
one that's easier for it.  :)

>I suppose that any time we select among two distributions with the
>same version based on precedence, we should issue a warning, at least
>when one of them is a develop dist.

That might indeed be doable...  at least for tools like buildout and
easy_install.  I'm not sure it's worth doing so in pkg_resources.

>>This was actually more of a happy coincidence than something I
>>planned ahead of time, but it does occur in practice.  :)
>
>It made me very unhappy when I first started working with
>setuptools.  I use develop eggs a lot and I definately expect them to
>be used.

If you're not installing them with -m, they will be used, because
they'll be the one in easy-install.pth.

>>Note that in any event, if we make platform-specific eggs have
>>higher precedence, then platform-specific built eggs will have to
>>take precedence over develop eggs, because "true" develop eggs are
>>never viewed as "platform-specific" (because they have no platform
>>name in their .egg-info directory name).
>
>This argument sounds overly pedantic to me.

It's actually a comment about the *implementation*.  Develop eggs
*can't* include version or platform information in their .egg-info
directory names, or it makes them useless.