[Distutils] Buildout not updating setuptools

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Jul 9 19:45:08 CEST 2007

At 01:10 PM 7/9/2007 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>IMO, they shouldn't have the same precedence.  IMO installations made
>with the develop command should have the highest precedence. After
>all, why would someone use the develop command if they didn't want to
>see the effects of changes they're making in development.  Could we
>can change the develop command to generate a different symbol, like
>REALLY_DEVELOP_DIST and give it the highest precedence?  (Tempted to
>wink, but not really kidding...) It appears that it doesn't actually
>generate anything atm, but I think it should.

I could have .egg-link files use a different precedence, but I
wouldn't make it the highest.  Develop eggs have the lowest
precedence for two reasons: one, easy_install prefers to use eggs it
can copy, and two, develop eggs have lower precedence to prevent you
thinking that your version requirements are correct when they aren't.

That is, if you depend on 1.9.dev-r1201, and that picks up your
development version in place of an .egg file with the same version,
you won't be able to tell that your requirement is wrong.  This can
occur if you are working on an SVN checkout - your develop egg has
the same version as the built one, but you could have changed it.

This was actually more of a happy coincidence than something I
planned ahead of time, but it does occur in practice.  :)

Note that in any event, if we make platform-specific eggs have higher
precedence, then platform-specific built eggs will have to take
precedence over develop eggs, because "true" develop eggs are never
viewed as "platform-specific" (because they have no platform name in
their .egg-info directory name).