[Distutils] setuptools 0.6c4 released

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jan 10 15:18:38 CET 2007

At 03:32 PM 1/10/2007 +0200, David Fraser wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>Prior to the final release of setuptools 0.6, I intend to update ez_setup
>>to do one or both of the following things:
>>
>>1. It will detect and download the current stable setuptools release from
>>the Cheeseshop, AND/OR
>>
>>2. It will instruct the user to visit the cheeseshop page and follow the
>>installation instructions there.
>>
>>I'm not sure yet which is the best approach, so I'll probably just do
>>both.  :)
>>
>What about
>3. It will ask the user if it wants to do 1, and otherwise do 2.

Um, no.  :)

First, you didn't supply a rationale or usage scenario to justify that, and
second, setup scripts are never interactive.  (Or at least, I've never seen
one that is.)  Remember, ez_setup isn't being run on its own any more
(although it will still support that).  We're talking about what will
happen when you run "setup.py install" (or similar) on a project that uses
setuptools, when setuptools is not installed.  The current mechanism of
delaying 15 seconds before starting the download is about as interactive as
it gets.

So, when I say, "do both", what I mean is that it would display
instructions (#2) and delay 15 seconds or so before starting #1.