[Distutils] Adding a setuptool command that runs when setup.py build is invoked

Scott Robertson srobertson at codeit.com
Sat Jan 6 01:35:22 CET 2007

I'm trying to create a package that provides a setuptool command that will
compile idl files when you run python setup.py build or python setup.pyinstall.

I've figured out how to add an additional command (build_omniidl) which I
can run with:
   python setup.py build_omniidl

But I'm not sure how to wire it up so that
  python setup.py build

automatically invokes build_omniidl for me. Basically I want build_omniidl
to act just like build_python.

Is this even possible with setuptools? If so anyone know where I can see an
example?