[Distutils] workingenv/setuptools compatibility

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Feb 20 23:04:47 CET 2007

Hi again.  I mentioned this a long time ago, but I'd like to talk about
it again: I'd really like to remove workingenv's monkeypatching of
setuptools.  There's still just two things:

* Removing easy_install's check of site.py (easy_install.install_site_py).
* Changing the way scripts are created (using python -S and then
changing the path).

An option I could put in distutils.cfg for changing script creation
would work great (since workingenv installs its own distutils.cfg).
Maybe something that points to a function, and that function is passed
the normal script text and then modifies it.  Or just wraps
get_script_header's text (that's what I'm currently doing).

For setuptools' site.py, it would be nice if I could put a bit of text
in there that indicates that it does everything setuptools' site.py does
(at least as much as I choose to do -- no finding the system site.py in
my case).  Maybe something like __setuptools_setup_version__ = '0.6c6',
or 'setuptools_site_py_hash = "xxxxx"', where that's an md5 hash of the
setuptools' site.py that it was based on.  Or something.

This would substantially reduce the amount of annoying hacks in
workingenv.  And the script stuff would be useful in zc.buildout as well.