[Distutils] I need to create a customized Fedora live cd with Python applications on it

Nathan R. Yergler nathan at yergler.net
Tue Apr 24 22:50:51 CEST 2007

On 4/24/07, Stanley A. Klein <sklein at cpcug.org> wrote:
> I need to create a customized Fedora live CD with Python applications on
> it.  The live CD requires rpm's of the applications.  (The issues are
> similar to a customized Ubuntu live CD but Ubuntu requires deb's.)
>
> It seems that the distutils/setup.py functions that create rpms are
> broken.  I get errors most of the time that I try to use them.  The Python
> community seems to be focused on eggs, that are useful if individually
> installed but don't match the distribution formats of the Linux distros.
> Those distribution formats are what the distros use for their live CD's.

I've successfully created RPMs many times in the past; can you
elaborate on the problems you're having?

> Is there a way to convert eggs to rpm's?  Can the distutils be fixed to
> reliably create rpm's?  Is there some other way to install eggs on distro
> customized live CD's?

If it's a live CD, is there a reason you can't just put them into
site-packages on the CD filesystem? (I have no idea what goes into
building a Fedora live CD, so "yes, there's a reason" is a sufficient
answer).