[Distutils] Setuptools with custom path configuration

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Oct 17 17:32:13 CEST 2006

At 08:09 AM 10/17/2006 -0400, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
>When I run ez_setup.py, it tells me:
>
>TEST FAILED: /home/exarkun/.local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ does NOT
>support .pth files
>error: bad install directory or PYTHONPATH

>/home/exarkun/.local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ is not in PYTHONPATH,
>but it has been passed to site.addsitedir().

But the file that does it is in PYTHONPATH...  which means it's not getting
run during the test, which uses python -E.  Argh.  I've never seen a
configuration that used (and needed) PYTHONPATH *and* sitecustomize *and* a
site directory before.

You're right, this configuration isn't really supported well.  easy_install
expects non-PYTHONPATH site dirs to be supported by Python itself, not by a
PYTHONPATH dir causing the other one to be loaded.  I'll have to see about
a fix.