[Distutils] should I use distutils for a gnome-applet?

Jorge Vargas jorge.vargas at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 02:53:32 CET 2006

Hi

I'm writting a small gnome applet that I'll like to distribute

currently I have a small handmade Makefile that will just copy all the
files (3) to their destinations.

but it depends on gnome-python (gconf,gnomeapplet) and pygtk, so I'll
like to have some of the advantages of distutils/setuptools.

although I think setuptools here is overkill distutils will be great
for automatic packaging.

my concern here is that I need to put the files in specific locations
outside the python dirs this 2 to be exact.

BONOBO_DIR = /usr/lib/bonobo/servers
EXE_DIR = /usr/local/bin

so my question is will I really win from hoping over to distutils or
should I just stick with my Makefile?