[Distutils] Installing via ez_setup.py reports error

Nathan R. Yergler nathan at yergler.net
Mon May 22 17:55:01 CEST 2006

>> error: No urls, filenames, or requirements specified (see --help)
>
> When ez_setup.py sees any command-line arguments, it runs easy_install
> with them once setuptools is bootstrapped.  EasyInstall then sees that
> there are only options and no arguments, so it complains.  I'm not sure
> if there's a reasonable fix for this, but I'll look into it.

Ah, so if I understand correctly setuptools sees the command line
options and assumes there will be an argument associated with them.  It
goes ahead and uses the options for bootstrapping, but then complains
when it doesn't find the argument.  Is this new-ish behavior?  I don't
seem to recall that happening when I was working with this initially
(PyCon-ish time frame).

>> On a separate topic, echoing Jim's comments regarding paths, it seems
>> silly that when I use the following command (omitting the explicit
>> PYTHONPATH):
>>
>> $ python ez_setup.py --script-dir bin/ --install-dir lib/ -a --site-dirs
>> lib/
>>
>> I'm told that ./lib is not on sys.path; isn't the point of site-dirs to
>> assert that a directory *will be* on the Python path?
>
> Actually, it's to assert that .pth files will be processed in that
> directory at Python startup.
>
> I guess there is no escaping the Path Nanny, after all.  :)  Well,
> there's -m, actually.

So it sounds like --site-dirs is more like --processes-pth-files :).