[Distutils] Finding dependencies and Limiting download

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Mar 15 17:30:20 CET 2006

At 03:55 PM 3/15/2006 +0200, Juha Tuomala wrote:

>Hi
>
>I'm new with setuptools and probably asking wrong questions. :-)
>
>I'm making RPM package from python-paste for CentOS
>Linux installation and came across some problems.
>
>I do the installation with:
>
>   setup.py install --root $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

Use "setup.py bdist_rpm" to build an RPM, and all of the details (except
RPM-level dependencies) will be handled automatically.

>and it seems to work pretty well, but it doesn't find
>my already installed cheetah package below site-pacakges
>and thus starts searching it from the net.

That's because you're using 'install' rather than 'bdist_rpm'.  If for some
reason you can't use bdist_rpm, you should use the
--single-version-externally-managed option to the 'install' command, which
tells easy_install that you're building a system package, so it won't try
to do dependencies and it won't build an egg file or directory.  Instead,
it will install packages in the "traditional" way, with the addition of a
.egg-info/ directory that contains the package's metadata so it will still
work correctly at runtime.

>  Does the
>dependencies have to be installed as an egg so
>that setuptools could find them?

Yes, if the package uses the pkg_resources module at runtime to access the
dependencies.  At minimum, the dependencies would then need .egg-info files
or directories to indicate what is installed.  If you use setuptools to
build new RPMs for those dependencies, you'll get that info added to the
RPMs automatically.

>Second thing is that how do I limit the download using
>'install' ? With 'easy_install' I could use --allow-hosts=None
>or -H, but is it so that it's not available for 'install'?

If you want to get the full set of easy_install features, just go to the
setup directory and run "easy_install .", it will install the package
that's in the current directory, and thus you can use all the normal
easy_install options.

Note also that if you use 'bdist_rpm', or 'install
--single-version-externally-managed', no dependencies will be sought or
installed at build time.  (But this doesn't stop you from needing .egg-info
metadata for the dependencies if the installed packages are queried at
runtime.)