[Distutils] Why using distutils.core.setup requires Python sources ?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jun 30 00:40:04 CEST 2006

At 12:03 AM 6/30/2006 +0200, Jérôme Bouat wrote:
> > only the contents of "/usr/lib/python2.x/config/" -- the directory where
> > Python's build configuration information is copied upon installation.
>
>Its seems that my Mandriva Linux distro did not package this well:
>
>[j at localhost ~]$ rpm -q --all | grep --ignore-case python
>python-2.4.1-3mdk
>python-numeric-24.0-1mdk
>python-base-2.4.1-3mdk
>libpython2.4-2.4.1-3mdk
>libxml2-python-2.6.21-3mdk

You might first want to check if there is a 'python-dev' or 'python-devel'
package you can install; some distributions only install the 'config'
directory with such a package.

>[j at localhost ~]$
>[j at localhost ~]$ rpm -q --list $(rpm -q --all | grep --ignore-case
>python) | grep --ignore-case makefile
>[j at localhost ~]$
>[j at localhost ~]$ locate -i makefile | grep --ignore-case python
>/usr/share/doc/libidn11-0.5.18/contrib/idn-python/Makefile
>[j at localhost ~]$
>[j at localhost ~]$ rpm -q
>--whatprovides /usr/share/doc/libidn11-0.5.18/contrib/idn-python/Makefile
>libidn11-0.5.18-2mdk
>[j at localhost ~]$
>
>Maybe I should report this as a Mandriva bug.

What you've shown above is an unrelated Makefile.  It's likely that the
needed 'config' directory is installed by another package that you don't
currently have installed.

If there is no such package, or it doesn't install the 'config' directory,
then you should indeed report a bug.