[Distutils] Weird PyPI Behavior

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jun 28 23:42:27 CEST 2006

On Jun 28, 2006, at 5:30 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 05:16 PM 6/28/2006 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Interesting.  I thought that --tag-svn-revision was a common/
>> recommended
>> practice.
>
> It *is* -- but not for releases being sent to PyPI.  a dev-rNNNN
> release is a development snapshot rather than an official release.
>

>>   I followed the advice to have a setup.cfg like:
>>
>> [egg_info]
>> tag_build = .dev
>> tag_svn_revision = 1
>>
>> But I noticed that the release with the meta data didn't have the
>> subversion information or the .dev tag, which is consistent with
>> register not being aware of the extra information.
>>
>> Is this a bug? :)
>
> Probably.  :)  A workaround would be to either put "egg_info"
> before "register", or to move the "register" after the
> "bdist_egg".  I'll add this to the bug list nonetheless.

Interesting. That's good to know.  If it works, I'm happy. I suggest
noting this in the docs.

>> If it isn't, then I recommend that you either stop recommending  that
>> people use setup.cfg this way or stop recommending that they upload
>> their files to PyPI.
>
> Do you really need to upload every development snapshot to PyPI?

If I want people to be able to download it, I have to upload it
somewhere.

I have two choices, upload it to pypi, or create my own download
area.  I would do one or the other, not both.  It seems confusing, to
me and to consumers to have two download areas, my own and pypi's.
I'd rather use PyPi's because it's integration with setup.py is so
convenient.

OTOH, if it is considered bad form to upload dev releases to PyPi, I
can just write
helper scripts to upload somewhere else.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org