[Distutils] conditional external packages dependancies with setuptools

Jorge Vargas jorge.vargas at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 09:04:30 CEST 2006

hi all

I'm new to creating my own setuptools projects, although I have work with
other people projects before, so I'm not that lost here.

but What I want to accomplish is having dependancies on some packages. for
example my project will have diferent database backends so I want to depend
on pysqlite or mysql-python depending on which the user wants as his/her
backend. I'm going to have lots of diferent backends, even some that are not
databases, so this will be a crutial thing for me or I'll end up with very
big dist files per release, which will mostly be waste if the user never
uses them.

is something like this possible with setuptools now? is it plan to be
possible in the future? if so any estimates on when will this be?