[Distutils] setuptools and picard

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jul 5 17:16:20 CEST 2006

At 01:11 PM 7/5/2006 +0400, Pavel Volkovitskiy wrote:
>Hello
>
>I'm trying to install picard (http://musicbrainz.org/wd/PicardDownload) with
>python -c "import setuptools;execfile('setup.py')" install
>--single-version-externally-managed --root=/path/to/root
>but it breaks with:
>usage: -c [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
>    or: -c --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
>    or: -c --help-commands
>    or: -c cmd --help
>
>error: option --single-version-externally-managed not recognized
>
>Is that ok and i should use ./setup.py without "import
>setuptools;execfile('setup.py')" hack, or if this a bug in setuptools that
>should be fixed?

I'm having trouble reproducing the problem, as this tarball:

https://helixcommunity.org/download.php/1791/picard-0.6.0.tar.gz

doesn't appear to contain a setup.py.   Could you give me some more
information about what package you are installing from and where its
setup.py is coming from?

(By the way, --root implies --single-version-externally-managed, so you
don't need to use the latter if you are using the former.  However, you
should only be using --root if you are planning to copy the contents of
/path/to/root *to* the actual root, /.  Usually this option is used in
conjunction with a packaging tool such as RPM.  If you aren't planning to
copy /path/to/root to /, you shouldn't be using --root either.)