[Distutils] Dynamic linking on Linux, Mac OS, et al

Stephen Langer stephen.langer at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 7 03:55:04 CET 2006

On Jan 6, 2006, at 11:33 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2006, at 8:19 AM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>
>> The issue for the PyICU/PyLucene etc. use cases is that there are a
>> whole
>> bunch of SWIG wrappers for different extensions, but with a large
>> common
>> library for type mapping etc.  The authors want a shared library
>> for *their
>> own code* that is used by multiple extensions.  This is not
>> separately
>> distributed code.
>
> It'd be better if these projects just fixed themselves to do things
> the "right" way, using a Python extension and a function table.

Bob --

   Can you explain to me in more detail what the "right" way is?  I
have a large number of swig wrapper files for a large number of C++
files.  The program has a small number of core shared libraries that
are always loaded, and a few that are optional.  The shared library
code is written in C++.  Sometimes classes defined in the core
libraries are used as base classes for classes defined in the
optional libraries.  All of this can be handled easily with shared
libraries.  How can it be done with function tables?

Thanks,
       Steve

--
-- EMail: stephen.langer at nist.gov                    Phone: (301)
975-5423 --

-- "I don't think this will work.  That's why it's
science."               --
--                                      Naomi Langer,  17 Feb
2003         --