[Distutils] setuptools 0.6a9 is released

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Jan 4 19:42:33 CET 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> The next release of setuptools will be 0.6a10, for which I plan to add
> shared library building support (it's needed for an OSAF project,
> PyICU).  There are also some minor features (like dependency_links) that
> didn't make it into 0.6a9 but which aren't big enough to need waiting till 0.7.

How about logging of some sort?  I'm frequently encountering problems
now where I don't understand why there's a conflict or why something is
being required.  I attribute this to a larger network of packages and
dependencies, and handling more versions of software.  Mostly the
information I'm looking for is a path of requirements -- what caused
what else to be required, and in what order.  I see that
"VersionConflict / XXX add more info" message a lot too, so that's the
XXX I'd like to see fixed.

I can submit a patch for some of this if you can advise how you'd like
to see that work.  The logging module?  Just a verbose or debug mode of
some sort?  Though post-mortem why-did-I-get-this-conflict information
would be really nice too, which would imply tracking the information all
the time instead of just in a debugging mode.