[Distutils] setuptools 0.6a10/a9 conflict

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Feb 14 23:59:20 CET 2006

I just installed setuptools 0.6a10 on a host, and that host had a copy
of 0.6a9 in site-packages.  0.6a10 got installed into a different
directory that had been set up like the Administrator Install
instructions (that is, add the directory to the path in sitecustomize).
    The site-packages (0.6a9) version had a setuptools.pth file pointing
to it (in site-packages itself).  The new 0.6a10 also had a
setuptools.pth file, but in a later path.

After that, when I ran easy_install it imported from the 0.6a9
pkg_resources module, not the 0.6a10 version.  Once I deleted the old
versions it worked again.  Presumably it should have given a version
error (or just magically worked correctly); it shouldn't have imported
from the wrong version.

Not sure if setuptools should have caught that, or what.  Anyway, data
point.