[Distutils] Some negative press for easy_install

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Feb 10 20:00:32 CET 2006

Christian Holtje wrote:
> Ian Bicking wrote:
>

>>There shouldn't be non-egg stuff; if there is, then the package isn't
>>really a good setuptools package.  I think setuptools catches attempts
>>to write files elsewhere too, and at least warns about it.  While I
>>can understand you want to stick to a stow-based system, at this point
>>stow seems unnecessarily indirect.  However, you can always give the
>>-d option or one of the other available options to have easy_install
>>put the egg right where you want it.
>

> I didn't see the -d option.  That does most of what I need right there.
> Spiffy.
>
> I agree, that some sort of UI that I could manage eggs and versions with
> would be excellent and a happy replacement for stow.

It also occurred to me that --single-version-externally-managed
describes exactly what stow implies (stow managing the version).  But
yes, you don't have to use stow to have stow-like isolation.

> I would like to be able to keep these eggs out of the "distribution"'s
> directories, though.  Since I don't want things being replaced on
> upgrade, etc.

You can enforce that by putting your preferred installation options in
/usr/lib/python2.4/distutils/distutils.cfg (sadly you have to put the
configuration in that location or your home directory in
~/.pydistutilssomething).