[Distutils] SETUPTOOLS - Loading Eggs which do not have an egg_info

Ilias Lazaridis ilias at lazaridis.com
Thu Dec 7 20:03:46 CET 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 06:24 PM 12/7/2006 +0200, Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
>> Looks somehow like this:

>> How can I create an egg representing object (from the sources/setup.py),
>>from which I can load the entry-points afterwards, without having to
>> generate an egg_info on the file-system?
>
> You can take the dist.Distribution object's entry_points and parse it to
> create an entry point map.
> I can't guarantee that there aren't other things that will break, too.  I
... (elaborations)

I understand, and I basicly would like to use the setuptools egg code.

This is a special and limited use-case:

The eggs do *not* need to be found by other eggs/applications, as they
are used only by the application that loads them in.

Thus I just want to create the egg representation in my code (to call
the entry_points), whilst using the information from setup.py/sources
(instead of the generated egg_info).

Essentially, the code (internal in setuptools) that reads the egg_info
will simply retrieve it from the setup.py (or i instantiate it somhow,
and pass it to the setuptools routines)

The function would be essentially:

def get_an_egg(path_to_setuppy)
   # load setup.py
   # construct the egg
   return egg

#further processing based on standard egg methods

.

--
http://lazaridis.com