[Distutils] setuptools now in Python 2.5 trunk

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Apr 18 06:38:18 CEST 2006

Just a heads-up: setuptools 0.7a1.dev-r45519 is now in the Python 2.5
stdlib trunk.  The docs haven't been converted yet, nor have the various
PEPs and NEWS or whatsnew docs been updated.  But it's in, and the tests
run as part of the Python 2.5 regression test suite.  I had to tweak a few
things in setuptools 0.7 in order to make everything work cleanly across
2.3, 2.4, and 2.5, but it's done now.  And, as a side benefit, setuptools
0.7 now installs its own fixes for the pydoc and doctest problems with
modules in zipfiles!  (And Python 2.5 doesn't have those problems to begin
with; it also supports showing tracebacks and warnings and other things
using source code pulled from .egg or .zip files.)

These fixes are automatically substituted for the corresponding 2.3 and 2.4
stdlib modules whenever you install setuptools 0.7 with an older Python
version, unless you are installing setuptools as a system package.  (That's
because system packages installed to site-packages can't override stdlib
modules, but .eggs installed anywhere (even site-packages) *can*.)

So, if you get a chance to try the curren SVN head of Python, or the 2.5
alpha 2 release, let me know if you encounter any issues with
setuptools.  Also, if you're using the setuptools 0.7 trunk with any other
Python version, please let me know about any issues there as well.  Thanks.

(By the way, in setuptools 0.7 I've reinstated support for running with
"python -m easy_install", because that was easier than trying to get the
Python build process to install a script or executable.)