[Distutils] setuptools and Python 2.5?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Apr 8 23:28:59 CEST 2006

At 05:09 PM 4/8/2006 +0000, John J Lee wrote:
>I seem to remember mention on python-dev of parts of setuptools going into
>Python 2.5.  Did that / will that happen?

What's happened so far is that 2.5 distutils has an 'install_egg_info'
command to ensure that non-setuptools packages get their package metadata
installed.

>If yes, any tips on updating packages & testing against 2.5 setuptools?

Make sure your setup script does not produce any warnings about your
.egg-info directory or your namespace packages.  The version that should go
into Python 2.5 will probably not offer backward compatibility for the
issues that today's setuptools warn about, as that would force me to retain
that compatibility for years from now.  So, check for warnings about
undeclared namespace packages and misnamed egg-info directories, and update
them accordingly.