[Distutils] setuptools: Missing unmanaged module warning; Failed SVN cleanup; Wrong version in .egg name

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon Oct 31 21:37:41 CET 2005

Hi all, I'm trying to get some Egg/setuptools/easy_install-ified packages
working.  I've run into three problems.

I'm running on Windows XP SP2 with Python 2.4.2.  I believe I have the
latest easy_install.  I have setuptools 0.6a6.

First, here's what I'm doing (readers should be able to duplicate this,
since the SVN URL that this invocation makes use of is up on the Cheese
Shop):

C:\jjlee\code>easy_install -m ClientForm==dev
Searching for ClientForm==dev
Reading http://www.python.org/pypi/ClientForm/
Reading http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/ClientForm/
Best match: ClientForm dev
Downloading
http://codespeak.net/svn/wwwsearch/ClientForm/trunk#egg=ClientForm-dev
Doing subversion checkout from
http://codespeak.net/svn/wwwsearch/ClientForm/trunk to c:\docume~1\johnle~1\locals~1\temp\easy_install-38wlkt\trunk
svn: Unknown hostname 'svn.eby-sarna.com'
Processing trunk
Running setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir
c:\docume~1\johnle~1\locals~1\temp\easy_install-38wlkt\trunk\egg-dist-tmp-aglabc

Installed c:\python24\lib\site-packages\clientform-0.2.1a-py2.4.egg

Because this distribution was installed --multi-version or --install-dir,
before you can import modules from this package in an application, you
will need to 'import pkg_resources' and then use a 'require()' call
similar to one of these examples, in order to select the desired version:

     pkg_resources.require("clientform")  # latest installed version
     pkg_resources.require("clientform==0.2.1a")  # this exact version
     pkg_resources.require("clientform>=0.2.1a")  # this version or higher

error: c:\docume~1\johnle~1\locals~1\temp\easy_install-38wlkt\trunk\.svn\dir-prop-base: Permission denied

C:\jjlee\code>

Problems:

1. Failure to remove temporary SVN working copy on XP SP2.  I get the
same issue with my own manual checkouts, and use rmdir /q /s working_copy
to get rid of them.

2. I don't get any warnings about conflicting unmanaged packages when I
install my package, contrary to these docs:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#dealing-with-installation-conflicts

Guesses:

   a. Problem 1. above prevented the warning being displayed

   b. The package is named 'ClientForm', but the egg base name is
      'clientform' so I wonder if this is a case sensitivity issue?

3. It said:

Installed c:\python24\lib\site-packages\clientform-0.2.1a-py2.4.egg

But I asked for version "dev", and the Cheese shop entry I uploaded for
testing purposes (just to get the SVN URL into the long-description) was
different again: "0.2.1a-pre1"!  Why don't I get an egg with version
"dev"?

Thanks in advance for any help with all this,

John