[Distutils] MANIFEST destiny :)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Nov 17 19:11:09 CET 2005

At 10:40 AM 11/17/2005 +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
>This seems to me to be a good point. However, wouldn't a relatively
>simple way of addressing it be just to *document* the One Official Way
>(ideally, in the Python documentation, but maybe hosted elsewhere as
>well for users of current and older versions)?

I'm doing this with the setuptools documentation to some extent now,
although I'm not quite so prescriptive as I imply we should be in the
larger and long term sense.  Mainly that's because right now setuptools
adoption depends on early adopters among existing package distributors, and
it doesn't make sense for me to dictate e.g. their directory layout, as
long as it's halfway sane.  :)

>You could add a footnote somewhere that setuptools is limited to
>support of projects following this approach.

Actually, I can't.  Setuptools needs to be 100% backward-compatible with
existing distributions, at least to the point of building eggs for
them.  Otherwise, I can't get the critical mass of users needed to
bootstrap this thing.