[Distutils] non-"standard" compilers...

Nicholas Bastin nick.bastin at gmail.com
Fri May 27 18:24:48 CEST 2005

On 5/27/05, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> distutils picks up the compiler default from the settings
> Python was compiled with.
>
> It is usually not a good idea to compile extensions with a
> different compiler, hence this default.

Ah, a little more tweaking reveals what is going on here.  distutils
reads from pyconfig.h (a thing that might be useful to put in the
doc), which, in my case, the one it finds isn't for the python on my
system (or even my OS, actually).  We ship a cross-platform
distribution with our application, so we have to rename pyconfig.h as
necessary for each platform, so the correct one for my platform
(SUN_SPARC_SOLAR/pyconfig_32.h) isn't being found by distutils.  Is
there any way to tell distutils where my pyconfig.h is?

I can of course eliminate the spurious pyconfig.h that's floating
around, but then I just get an IOError when it tries to open the
location it thinks is pyconfig.h.

--
Nick