[Distutils] py2exe and eggs

Jay Parlar parlar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 22:49:12 CEST 2005

On 8/19/05, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> Okay, so are you doing anything else special?  Or are you able to use an
> otherwise-unchanged py2exe setup script if you install its dependencies
> using ---always-unzip?

I'm not doing anything special, it's my stock py2exe setup.py, and it
seems to be bringing in everything I want. You can even see the py2exe
output of byte-compiling the files inside the egg directories.

> If so, I'd suggest doing this in the setup.cfg of projects that will use
> py2exe:
>
>      [easy_install]
>      zip_ok = 0
>
> This will make EasyInstall unzip any dependencies it builds as part of the
> "install" command; i.e., you'll need to run "setup.py install py2exe" in
> order to download the dependencies, install them to site-packages, and then
> run py2exe.  However, it will mysteriously break if a dependency was
> already installed as a zip.  :(
>
> Kind of kludgy, but I guess it at least gets you going.

Maybe I misunderstnd what you mean hear, but that didn't seem to do
much for me. If I have a project that I'm not putting anything special
into the setup.py, how would EasyInstall get brought in to do
anything?

I think that since I know that unzipped Eggs will work, I'll just make
sure I install them unzipped. Right now the only packages I have as
eggs are PyProtocols and RuleDispatch (at least, the only packages
that need to be part of my internal application), so that's the only
place py2exe will affect me.

Jay P.