[Distutils] setuptools test command on Windows

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Aug 18 19:25:58 CEST 2005

At 07:08 PM 8/18/2005 +0200, Thomas Heller wrote:
>Seems I was late to try out setuptools.  Fantastic package, is my first
>impression.  But I have still a lot to read and tryout.
>
>But here is a first question: The 'test' command runs 'build_ext -i' and
>then the tests.

The "develop" command does this too.

>The workaround I have used for the ctypes project so far is a __path__
>hack: the main module importing this extension tries to execfile() a
>special file that is in CVS, but never distributed.  This file uses
>distutils to determine the name of the build directory, inserts this
>into sys.path.
>
>Is there anything in setuptools to work around that problem, or are
>there any plans or ideas how this could work?

Well, it occurs to me that it would be good for setuptools to track the
last-built platform and Python version, and use "build_ext -if" if it
differs from the current platform.  That wouldn't allow simultaneous use of
different platforms in the same directory, but it would allow serial
switching between Python versions or platforms (e.g. even cygwin vs. win32)
to be relatively painless.