[Distutils] easy_install: link detection

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Aug 15 04:16:28 CEST 2005

It's at http://pythonpaste.org/package_index.html

>> Also, if I want to require a package that isn't locatable through PyPI,
>> how should I deal with that?  I can add a find_links value to setup.cfg,
>> then put the link there.  It'd be easier if I could put a URL to the
>> package somewhere.  Or I guess if I could have a sort of local index.
>> But if I put "./docs/packages.html" as a find_links value, easy_install
>> can't find that.  So, what's the best way to deal with that?  I'm okay
>> with the index page myself, but I think other people may not want to
>> maintain such a thing.
>

> You can just put all the links directly in the --find-links value, you
> know.  EasyInstall doesn't install links that it can tell are
> distributions.

OK, that'll do (probably putting the link in setup.cfg).

>> (I'm thinking of writing a little app to create
>> a index for broken PyPI entries, but that's another topic.)
>

> Make sure you add an option to send the owner of the broken entry an
> email every time you have to update your index.  :)

Yeah... at the moment it's so many it's hard to be mad at them.  I
assume in the ElementTree case it's an attempt to be helpful, even if
personally it invokes a "just give the file already" reaction.

Personally I'm expecting to use "setup.py upload" for all my future
distribution, which should make it easier.

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org