[Distutils] Installing scripts

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Mon Jun 14 17:28:46 EDT 2004

Did we reach any conclusions regarding script installation?  I think there are
still some issues.

I *think* we agreed that stripping a .py extension for scripts on Unix is
acceptable, but it's not clear that any Unix-oriented users other than myself
were involved in the discussion.

I don't think we can simply rip off .py extensions on Unix, since that changes
the set of installed names for packages that support older versions of
Python/distutils; there probably needs to be some explicit gesture that this
is desired in the call to distutils.core.setup() (or maybe just in
setup.cfg).

I asked about silently not installing .pyw scripts on Unix, but I've not seen
any responses on that issue.

I'd like to have a better idea of how much agreement there might be before
starting to work on a patch.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>