[Distutils] Installing scripts

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Thu Jun 10 18:56:53 EDT 2004

[Mark W. Alexander]
> If it's a "Fred thing", then call me Fred ;) I despise having to call
> whatever.sh, something.py and heavenforbid.pl. From the command line,
> what do I care what the script is written in, or even if it's a script,
> an ELF. or an alias. Extensions are fine for developers, because they
> need to know implementation details. User's do not, and making them know
> is just rude (IMNSHO).

You can't tell me about users:  I have two sisters <wink>.  For years, they
saw ".pdf" and ".html" etc as just part of the file name.  "." didn't mean
anything special to them -- that's a learned convention.  Then again, my
definition of "user" doesn't include people who run scripts from shell
windows either.